My Not That Exciting but Perfectly Fine Life


"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.” Frederick Keonig

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Personal Retreat

Last weekend Angie and I went to a place called the Chalet in Comlumbia City. It's a house the Family Care Center provides to those in ministry to use for personal retreats for a small fee. It was wonderful! We were close to a lake and woods surrounded the house. The picture of the deer was taken from the kitchen window! The last day we were there it snowed quite a bit. What a treat it was to enjoy the peaceful nature surrounding us.

I had never gone on a personal retreat so the experience was very new to me. It was great to get away from the TV and computer and just be. I spent a lot of time praying, journaling, and reading scripture. I had come with a list of questions I wanted God to answer for me, but He had a different plan. Funny how He always wins out, huh? Instead of addressing my questions, he drew me into His presence and showed me many aspects of His character. I had taken my Jill Phillips CD with me and played the song "I Am" after reading a devotional that triggered me to remember some words from this song. It was a perfect way to begin my journey of being reminded who God is.

I came away reassured that He is my Refuge, my Protector, my Savior, my Strength, my Rock, my Guardian, my Defender, my Master and Ruler, my Shelter, and my Shield of love in whom I can trust. Wow! Let's just say I came away filled with joy from being in the presence of Jesus and am so thankful His agenda was different than mine. As far as my questions go...I'm still bringing them to Him and waiting expectantly for His answers. I'm learning God doesn't want me to just seek answers, He wants me to seek Him. And so I will.

And that's the end of this mini sermon!

Jamie at 5:40 PM

2comments

2 Comments

at 10:20 AM Blogger The Roths said...

Nice mini-sermon... I'm glad it went so well for you! I'll have to try that sometime.

 
at 10:40 AM Blogger Carole said...

Hi Jamie! I have some really great memories from personal retreats - it has been WAY too long since I've done one. It's just so important to be able to step out of the daily rush and be quiet and think and pray. I'm glad you got to experience it.

 

Post a Comment